Thursday, April 3, 2008

Half Way Done!!!!

Yipee!!! I am half-way done with chemo!




I had a hard time with my last round of chemo. I just didn't feel like eatting or drinking and got very dehydrated. I was trying to be stoic and power through it, which didn't work. I ended up getting IV fluids and it helped a lot. Next time, I will get fluids before it becomes a crisis! My doctor has decided to decrease my dose of cis-platin, the drug that seems to give me trouble. He wants the chemo to be a therapeutic dose versus a toxic dose since my CA125 (cancer marker) levels are low, within the normal range. He really wants me to complete all 6 courses of chemo and lowering the dose will enable me to make it through.



Carla and Donna, my friends from Boston and Rochester, came to visit this past week. They were extremely helpful for Bob with Fischer and Ziggi. I wish I could have felt better while they were here but I have learned to take one day at a time. In spite of feeling awful, Carla and Donna were doing yoga and I just had to try a pose, Crow (check it out!). Later I found out this is quite an advanced pose! After IV fluids I even felt like serenading my beautiful son with Puff the Magic Dragon!


We decided to let Ziggi stay with our friend Terry for the remainder of my chemo. Just too much to handle. I miss her, she reminds me to "be in the moment". She will rejoin our family in June when I finally finish the chemo!




KO, DDub, Carlalala







KO doing Chemo Crow



KO & Fischer singing "Puff"


KO & Fischer


KO & Ziggi


Ok, that was the Donna veersoin for this blog. She wrote it in first person for me. Thanks Donna! I am feeling really well today, this morning. It goes from hour to hour. I AM really excited to have my cisplatnin decreased. I think it will enable me to endure this hell.
Thanks for reading! ...and thanks to Donna and Carla, I'll miss you! (they leave today)
Love,
Katie

1 comment:

mjcaron said...

Hi Katie, This is Melissa from D&C's wedding.. we ran with Donna, remember? I see you are not feeling so great.. Looks like you are taking it in and dealing with it as best as you can. Hears to you for being such a vision of strength! I appreciate your openness to what you are going through. Take care..